There's an on-going battle being fought in my house. The enemy? The common cold. Ever since my daughter started school back in March it seems that way too often we are battling germs. I do what I can to treat her symptoms and make her comfortable while attempting to avoid traditional cold medicines. As soon as we feel a cold coming on we mix up a natural remedy from Drea (more on that later) and hope for a quick recovery. But, the best line of defense is preventative. We try to eat a diet packed with immunity boosting foods to keep our immune systems strong and to keep the runny noses at bay.
A few immunity boosting fruits and veggies:
- Watermelon - This juicy summertime favorite is packed with the antioxidant, glutathione. You'll find it close to the rind, so eat up!
- Mushrooms - They contain selenium (low levels can make you more susceptible to the flu) as well as vitamin B.
- Grapefruit - These vibrant, tart fruits contain flavonoids which boost immune system activity.
- Spinach - Full of folate, antioxidants and fiber. Just awesome all around.
- Acai Berry - This tiny super food is packed full of anthocyanin, great for combating disease and aging.
- Cabbage - Packed with glutamine and great for making soups.