ohdeardrea header
home button food button home button “natural “travel “advertise “cookbook

Simple Natural Living: Natural Acne Remedies


Pimples. Ugh. We all deal with them and we all hate them. I can actually recall staying home from school on more than one occasion to avoid the certain utter humiliation that came with walking into a middle school classroom with a pimple on your face. And even now, as an adult, I still have those days where I want to put life on hold until my skin clears up. 

My skin has improved drastically over the years as I've learned what's best to put on and in my body, and most importantly, to drink LOTS of water. But, every once in a while (about every 28 days or so) I get a not-so-lovely breakout. It seems like I've tried just about every acne solution out there: store bought cleansers, prescription strength creams, expensive treatment systems, toothpaste, aspirin, visine (who's idea was that?) and none of it worked. Now, I just use a few natural home remedies and the results are kind of amazing. Thirteen year old me is ticked that I didn't come across these sooner. 

What I use:

Garlic - 
   Why: full of antioxidants, great for killing the bacteria that causes acne and also great for reducing oily build-up.
   How: Crush a clove of garlic and mix it with a tablespoon of water in a small bowl or cup. Use a q-tip to apply the mixture directly to pimples. If you have sensitive skin, do a spot check first because it could burn. Leave it on or wash it off depending on your skin type.

Peppermint oil - 
    Why: soothes inflammation, decreases oil production and kills bacteria.
    How: Mix a few drops of peppermint oil with a few drops of water in a small bowl or cup. Apply directly to pimples using a q-tip. (Keep in mind that essential oils are very strong and shouldn't be used my pregnant women or children, especially on the face.)

Aloe - 
    Why: improves collagen formation and can reduce the appearance of scars.
    How: Break or cut open a fresh piece of aloe and apply to pimples and acne scars to speed up the healing process. 

-Emily

Author & Illustrations by Emily De Nicolais exclusively for ohdeardrea. To see more of Emily's work, click HERE

9 comments:

  1. I've tried garlic and aloe vera. I just forget to KEEP using them...

    Valentina
    Valentina Duracinsky Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Absolutely loving this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try the peppermint oil! Thanks for the tips!

    - Christina www.cityloveee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips! I make sure to eat garlic every day and also drink peppermint tea. I also use essential oils like tea tree oil and natural over the counter vitamin supplements like evening primrose, fish oil, boswellia to reduce inflammation in existing blemishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fascinating! I'd love to try these out, though I hope I won't have a need for them. ;)

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mean peppermint oil instead of lavender oil?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all over this! I am pregnant so I will be staying away from the oils, but I am in desperate need of something natural to help with this hormone induced acne. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloe is all-healing, and I just love it!

    ReplyDelete