ohdeardrea header
home button food button home button “natural “travel “advertise “cookbook

A Honolulu City Weekend {And A Nature Walk Too}

Untitled
I rarely do weekend re-caps. Mostly because, my weekends are pretty similar (read: pretty much exactly the same) to my weekdays. But it just so happens that all my recent escapades were over a weekend (a holiday weekend, mind you--- not that that makes a difference). This past Friday we had a little adventure with another Hawaii blogger, Jessica, her sister (Katie), and her little (Rowan). I'll be honest, I knew Marlowe would be smitten over Rowan (they are only 10 days apart in age and Rowan is equally as sweet and adorable!), but I wasn't too sure how Jess and I would get along. She seemed super sweet and fun, but different than the friends I usually mesh best with. Turns out, her and I get along great. All five of us ladies had a great time on our lady date, filled with: the zoo, tourist-y walks, late lunches, coffee, and curbside hangouts. We even have plans for another lady date coming up next weekend, and of course, I'm very much looking forward to it. 
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Giraffes, my favorite. But oh-so-boring to little Marlowe. 
"Want to see the giraffes?" 
"No." 
"Are you sure? The giraffes are so big!" 
"No" 
"Want to see the birds?" 
"YES! BIRDS!" 
The little girl has a one track mind for birds and turtles. She repeated "turtles" (no exaggeration) at least 75 times. 
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Our adventure ended later into the evening after we were completely wiped out. It made sense for Marlowe and I to stick around the city, rather than make the late night drive back (or really, make someone else drive us back, since we are without a car). So, we decided to part with Jess and meet up with Nicole. Now, here's something fun: Nicole's mom and my mom live on the same street, all the way in Massachusetts! I've known (one of) her younger sister since I was five. And had another one of her sisters as a babysitter growing up! It was nice to have a some familiarity, right here in Hawaii, on the other side of the country :) We stayed the night and woke up to a beautiful view filled with mountains, city, and ocean. We ventured to the Okinawa festival, which was fun, but a vegans nightmare, and a pork lovers heaven. I picked up a few souvenirs and Nicole and her family brought Marlowe and I to a market to pick up a more animal-kind meal. Afterwards it only made sense to start a list of all the places I want to eat at in the Honolulu area and title it "Let's Get Fat" (can you say vegan chicken and waffles with milkshakes?! The hormonal, hungry part of me is drooling). Before venturing back to our Hawaii home, we made our first stop to eat, at the healthiest of all the options I had listed. It was a nice start to my future food sprees. We'll be returning next week for more ice-cream (with espresso) and I am excited...and hungry just thinking about it ;) 
Untitled
Untitled
you can't beat a good time in some dirt and mud. 
Untitled
there was a traditional hula performance. 

We finished off our weekend by way of a nature walk through the woods, with Maryam's family. It was surprisingly chilly--- yes, chilly, Hawaii is surprisingly (to me) much cooler than our Florida home, but very calm, quiet, and beautiful. It was a nice relaxing way to end our weekend. 
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

I hope everyone had a wonderful and eventful (holiday) weekend! Ours was fun and very sun-filled. I was a little off today and Marlowe woke up with a stuffy and runny nose, (yes both, but hopefully it will pass by the time morning hits), but it was nice to take the day to relax... and even better because we got visited by a cookie fairy, which made today kind of wonderful. Thank you, cookie fairy. 

Happy Tuesday, friends.

**ps. if you're a local to Hawaii (which I'm sure most of you are not), check out Nicole's Hawaii calendar for local family friendly events. 

16 comments:

  1. I was droppin' by the wifes blog ( www.dearlittlelady.blogspot.com )to do my daily vote and catch up on some reading (part of my duties as a husband), and I thought I would drop a line. So I hear you comin' to stay with us? Nicolle and Auds are super excited. Also, I'm lov'n Marlow's shirt. Phu? You're in for a treat because San Jose is full of Vietnamese. A couple of my best friends are Vietnamese. My step mom and step brothers as well. We have the best Phu spot down the street from our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! VIET PARTY. (With beer... and babies.... ;) )

      Delete
  2. What a lovely weekend! Hawaii is amazing :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New reader, but LOVE the blog and the recipes!

    Also, I've been to Phu Quoc, the tiny island off Vietnam and it's GORGEOUS. Not sure if you've been given little Marlowe's shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! I didn't know it was a place... I've been wondering. I will search for it! I'm not sure where or why Marlowe got that shirt. Her dad brought her home with it on one day. I love it so much.

      Delete
  4. Your Hawaiian weekend sounds heavenly! And, YAY for the Okinawa festival! I grew up in Okinawa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was warned by a nice Okinawan man "we're not very good vegetarian eaters" hehe.

      Delete
  5. How cool to see two bloggers I like meeting in real life! And the pics of the girls holding hands? Beyond adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked each other. And the girls liked each other too :)

      Delete
  6. I love that you are having so much fun, and you found some familiarity. Such a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!! I have been (silently) following your blog for some time now- but now that you are in Hawaii and speaking of places you must go I had to speak up!! I lived on Oahu for 2 years as a live in nanny and your photos are making me miss it like crazy! So here is my tidbit- go to a place in Kailua called LaniKai Juice- and order an Acia Extravaganza. They are AMAZEBALLS! You wont be sorry! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed this comment and had to announce that we also have a (new!) Lanikai juice here on the north shore of Oahu as well. :) Great news! Kailua is lovely though--and worth the visit.

      Delete
    2. I've been told of one asia place I HAVE to check out. I wonder if its the same... I will def check it out! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. aloha! I've been enjoying catching up on your posts…It's fun to know you're having a great adventure here in Hawaii! Love your site--such great cooking and thoughtful writing.
    I have no idea how long you're here on island, but I sure hope to get to connect with you before you go. My 2yr. old son would love some girl time too. ;)
    Aloha, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete